Sunday, December 14, 2008

Soooooo cold!!

Just so everyone knows... I hate snow. It's a shocking kind of thing to say to a lot of people around Portland, because to them snow is a novelty because it doesn't snow every year and it usually just snows a tiny bit and melts off when it does. But I grew up in southern Idaho about 30 miles outside of Boise, and I learned to get awfully sick of snow. Sick of how cold it is. Sick of driving in it. And school snow days probably happened out there less often than they do here, because heavy snow was normal. I think I had 2 or 3 in my life.

So I just looked up the average annual snowfall for Boise and it's 20.7 inches according to this website (I don't know how reliable this website is, but it sounds reasonable to me.) So what does it say Portland's average annual snowfall is? 6.5 inches. Higher than I would have guessed actually, but believable. It just hardly ever snows that whole bit all at once. 6 inches of snow all at once in Boise is a lot more common.

One interesting thing I found though is that overall precipitation for Portland is 36.3 inches and Boise's I would have guessed to be significantly less. Not so much. Boise's is 33.5 inches. So why is it so beautiful in Portland and sooooo ugly around most of Boise? I don't really know. I think it's because most of their precipitation is in the form of snow and it melts off into creeks and streams down into rivers, so you end up with beautiful tiny areas by the streams and rivers, but as soon as you get away from those it's ugly and dry.

So, moral of the story is, I hate the snow on the ground right now. But I like Portland better.

Too bad I haven't done the "there's no people like snow people" card I've been planning on making, because it would have been fitting here... but I just haven't had the time. Maybe I will now that I'm stuck in the house due to snow.

No comments: